Financial support and grants

In France, with the student status you can benefit from specific financial and in-kind support.

If you are an international student, you can apply for...

A specific scholarship

You can find...

  • general information HERE
  • and a catalogue by nationality HERE

Specific situations - refugees

If you come from Syria, Egypt, Irak, Jordania, Lebanon, Turkey, you are eligible to the HOPES (Higher and Further Education Opportunities and Perspectives for Syrians) project: this projects aims at improving the situation of young Syrians refugees, and those of young people in vulnerable circumstances in 5 Syria's neighbouring countries (Egypt, Irak, Jordania, Lebanon, Turkey) and to facilitate their access to higher education.

A CROUS scholarship, if you meet these conditions:

  • You are in initial education in France (or in another country of the Council of Europe)
  • You are registered with a public or private higher education institution entitled to provide these scholarships
  • You are following a full-time course in this higher education institution.


If you are a european student (from one of the 27 countries of the EU or Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra)

  • You have worked in France, in a full-time or part-time job
  • Or you can prove than one of your parent have some income in France


If you are a student from another country

  • You have the status of refugee or subsidiary protected person
  • Or you have a temporary resident card and you have lived in France, which is your tax home, for at least 2 years

Housing and rental deposit assistance

Rent is a significant part of your budget - so don't forget to apply for housing aid, whether this is paid by the CAF (Family Allowance Fund) or managed by the "Action Logement" association.

Emergency financial assistance

This aid aims to ensure that you can continue your studies despite a serious situation arising during the academic year. Your situation will be confirmed by a social assessment.

Other services

Just like the French students, you have access to in-kind support (access to university restaurants, health care system, help for job searches, etc).

Eating out

As a student, you have access to the CROUS university restaurants where you can get a full lunch for 1€, from Monday to Friday. Some can be open in the evenings and during the weekends.

  • You must have an Izly account for the payment
  • A map of the university restaurants is available HERE
  • More info HERE

Healthcare in your university

Health Services are free in French higher education institutions.

You can make an appointment with a doctor, a nurse, and benefit from an emotional support or even have a full health check-up for free in your university. Your physical information point at the university is the Service Universitaire de Médecine Préventive et de Promotion de la Santé - SUMPS.

Health insurance scheme

If you are to enroll at a French higher education institution for the first time, your health agency is CPAM and subscription must be done online. The required documents are a proof of residence and a proof that you are legally staying in France (residence permit, at first receipt).

If you have the refugee or the subsidiary protection status, you are automatically eligible to the health insurance scheme for free.

Finding a student job

As a student you can have a scholarship and a student job as long as your job does not prevent you from going to classes. Minimum wage - according to French regulations, you should be paid AT LEAST 9.88 €/hour (prior to social tax deduction).

Public transport

There are specific fares or schemes for students and young people in general, to help you get about more cheaply on public transport. Do you know what they are?

Node Footer Info