Social security : your medical expenditure coverage

All you need to know about your social security coverage, how to get the highest reimbursement rates, and who to contact.

Registration to social security is free and mandatory for all students in France, whether French or international.  Here's everything you need to know to go through the process.


For partial reimbursement of your health expense (visit to the doctor, medical check-ups, etc.).


As soon as possible after your academic registration in your higher education institution. 


How much?

It's free of charge. French and international students don't pay to register to French social security. 

I must do it if...

  • ... I am a European student, and I don't have a European Health Insurance Card.
  • ... I am a European student, and I have a S1 form.
  • ... I am not a European student.

What is the S1 form?

It's a portable document you must apply for in your country before leaving to the health institution in which you are registered. The document allows you to register to French social security. The S1 form is only for citizens from countries of the EU/EEA and Switzerland.

I don't need to do it if...

  • ... I am European, and I have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a temporary certification. My health expenses will be reimbursed in the same conditions as if I was in my country. My card must be valid at least until the end of my current academic year.
  • ... I was already registered in a French higher education institution during the previous academic years, whatever my nationality. I don't need to process a new registration.

Node Footer Info