Refugees : beginning or continuing your studies in France

You are a refugee or asylum seeker and would like to begin or continue your studies in France?

Where do I find my university curriculum?

In France, there is a large choice of curricula. Click HERE to explore them.

Your physical information point in the nearby university:

  • Le service commun universitaire d'information et d'orientation (SCUIO) 

How do I enroll at a higher education institution?

Your information point in the higher education institutions: The Direction de la scolarité (department responsible for students) and/or the department of international relations.

In order to enroll at a French higher education institution, you will need to provide:

1. A certification of your French level

You are exempted from this certification...

  • If you come from one of these countries :
  • Benin, Burkina Faso, Congo, Ivory Coast, Gabon, Guinea Conakry, Mali,  Monaco, Niger, Democratic Republic of Congo, , Senegal, Togo.
  • If you meet the three following criteria :
    • You are from one of these countries: Belgium, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, Central African Republic, The Comoros, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Haiti, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Rwanda, The Republic of Seychelles, Switzerland, Chad, Vanuatu AND
    • You mostly received secondary education in French AND
    • You can prove your enrolment at a higher education institution
  • If you had a French education in one of the institutions 
  • If you have a diploma proving that your French level is equal or superior to B2 (DELF/ DALF/ TCF)

WARNING: In any case, it is strongly recommended to check with the institution if a certification of your French level is needed.

2. A diploma that allows to study in higher education in the country of issue

Enrollment process

  • Please note that if you are citizen of the European Union, you must use the platform Parcoursup.
  • If you are not a citizen of the European Union...

Your targeted curriculum

Your education background

Enrollment process

1st year of Bachelor

You have a French Baccalaureate



You have a diploma that allows you to enroll at a higher education institution in another country than France

Please contact the higher education institution where you wish to enroll

Selective courses outside of the universities

You have a diploma that allows you to enroll at a higher education institution in another country than France


Selective courses in the universities (DUT, DEUST, DU) 1

You have a diploma that allows you to enroll at a higher education institution in another country than France


Bachelor (from 2nd year onwards, Master's Degree or Doctorate


You can find information about getting the recognition of foreign qualifications HERE (insérer lien vers la rubrique reconnaissance de diplôme)  

Please contact the higher education institution where you wish to enroll


¹ Apprenticeships (BTS/DUT/DEUST/licence professionnelle) are short training courses (2 or 3 years after the Baccalaureate or equivalent) and associate theoretical classes, professional practices and internships. Access conditions: you must have been studying for one year in a French university before applying for it.

  • For further information, click here
  • For further information about Parcoursup, click here

Registration fees

People with the status of refugee or subsidiary protection do not need to pay tuition fees, nor the "student and campus life contribution" (CVEC : Contribution à la Vie Etudiante et de Campus), but you have to follow the procedure to be enrolled at a higher education institution.

Recognition of foreign qualifications

The Centre international d'études pédagogiques (CIEP) can provide you a comparability statement for your diploma. This statement can help the employer, the higher education institution or any other administrative institution to compare your diploma with the level demanded by the position or the course to which you will apply.

This document is not compulsory and the final decision belongs to the employer/higher education institution.

  • For refugees or subsidiary protected people, the application to get a comparability statement is adaptable and free.

To apply, you need to show your diplomas. If you do not have them, you can provide your academic transcript or enrolment certificate.

European Qualifications Passport for Refugees (EQPR)

The European Qualifications Passport for Refugees is a document providing an assessment of the higher education qualifications based on available documentation and a structured interview. It also presents information on the applicant's work experience and language proficiency. The document provides reliable information for integration and progression towards employment and admission to further studies.

It is a specially developed assessment scheme for refugees, even for those who cannot fully document their qualifications.

To apply > Applications are examined on an ongoing basis (as soon as a candidate applies, an evaluation session is organised).

Node Footer Info

Toute l'information pour les réfugiés en France

Vous trouverez sur réfugié les informations nécessaires sur les études, le logement, la santé...