Welcome to France

Covid-19 | FAQ Crous, studies, services ...

What consequences do the closings of higher education establishments have on your student life?


Following the decision of the French President, Emmanuel Macron, to close higher education establishments from Monday, March 16, you legitimately ask yourself a certain number of questions concerning your studies, services, housing....

Please be aware that this FAQ is updated according to the evolution of the situation and will be specified with the decisions taken by public authorities.

IMPORTANT: The President of the Republic has announced strict rules that you must respect to fight against the spread of the virus. Outings are authorized with certificate (available here) and only for your work (certificate here), which includes a student job, an internship, a work-study program or a mission in « Service Civique » and only if you can't work form home. Reminder: for internships, work-study programs or « Service Civique », it is your host structure which tells you whether you should go or stay at home. The exit authorization is also valid for trips related to your health or to make basic purchases in authorized local shops (food, hygiene...).

Official information on the french government website

#JeVeuxAider (I want to help) | To get involved during the Covid-19 crisis

jeveuxaider.gouv.fr puts together charitable associations which seek volunteers with citizens who seek to give a little of their time to the most fragile and the most disadvantaged during this period of the Covid-19 crisis.


Does the closure only concern universities or other higher education institutions?

All higher education establishments, public as well as private, universities, schools, IUT, high schools hosting BTS, CPGE, etc. are affected by the closure of the premises and the prohibition to go to campuses and training places.

Until when are the establishments closed?

Until further notice. You will be informed when this measure is lifted, in due course when it takes place.

Are university residences (managed by the Crous) closed?

NO. The Crous will continue to welcome students who are already housed there and who wish to stay in their residences, to allow them to study in good conditions. Please follow the health regulations and the rules of the residence, specified by your Crous (see table below).

Before the quarantine, the housed students have been invited to join their family home, and their country for international students, in order to avoid them staying isolated in their accommodation, especially since the Crous cannot maintain collective activities. However, those who wish to stay will not be forced to leave. They will continue to be hosted in university residences which, by the way, remain OPEN.

To help you assume departures that are linked to a public health measure, if you had to leave in a hurry, even without being able to fully clean your room, and if you don't plan to come back, the contractual notice of one month will not apply.

From April 1, all students who have left their room, even temporarily, will NO LONGER PAY. To benefit from this rent interruption, please inform as soon as possible your Crous of your departure at the email address of your residence.

The Crous services must be promptly informed of this departure (!).

Furthermore, and as far as possible, students who have left their accommodation definitively and who wish to find accommodation when studying activities resume, will be accommodated in the residences.

Are university restaurants (Resto'U) closed?

Following both national decisions concerning this field of activity and the closure of higher education establishments, seated catering is no longer provided. When the organization allowed it and the needs of the students were more significant, take-away sales spaces were maintained. Due to travel and group restrictions, catering, whatever its form, can no longer be provided.

Food aid and the purchase of basic necessities are gradually being implemented in the Crous for confined residents in particular, in connection with higher education establishments. Check with the social services department of your Crous / your establishment.

Are university libraries (BU) closed?

For students, yes. Check with your establishment and / or your BU, in particular for how to remotely access documentary resources.

Are the Crous closed?

The reception in the Crous, in the various physical reception services, can be modified due to the social distancing instructions. A certain number of cultural activities and common areas are closed, but most services are still provided, as Crous workers still work.

Social support and specific assistance: social workers remain mobilized, but student requests and exchanges with them are organized by phone or by email. More info from your Crous (see table below).

Are sports facilities on campus closed?

Yes. In addition, the French Federation of University Sports cancels all sport competitions until further notice.

Are university health services closed?

No, but the services are accessible under suitable conditions (see HEALTH section, below).


Is the Crous scholarship always paid during the closure of my establishment?

Yes. There is and there will be NO INTERRUPTION in the procedure for examining files, such as payment.

Will other financial aid still be paid during the closure of my establishment?

Yes. Nothing changes.

Overall, what is the impact on student life services?

In higher education establishments, all activities involving travel or gatherings have been canceled. This applies to cultural and sports activities, but also to the physical reception in different student life services, whose service activity can nevertheless continue from a distance. Information to take from your establishment, which most certainly also has a dedicated FAQ.

In the Crous, physical reception is no longer ensured due to the social distancing instructions, with the exception of university residences, which remain open to continue welcoming their residents, in strict compliance with the social distancing instructions. and health guidelines.

Still on Crous, and social support: social services remain mobilized, but student requests and exchanges with them are organized by phone, video, chat or email. More info from your Crous (see table below).

What support has been provided to students to date during this period?

> The rent for the month of April is not due for students who have left, even temporarily, their university residence
> Food aid and the purchase of basic necessities are gradually being implemented in the Crous for quarantined residents
> Financial aid is available, via your Crous, for all students who need it, especially those who have lost a student job or an internship
> The scholarship based on social criteria, as well as all other student aid, is maintained, whatever happens, even in the event of exhausted rights
> The Erasmus+ scholarship is maintained throughout the stay abroad, and until their return, students on the move
> Any costs incurred for unplanned travels of Erasmus+ students, are covered by the Erasmus+ Agency
> For all types of international mobility, the Ministry of Higher Education ensures that voluntary returns to France are best organized
> Campus France ensures the return to their country of international scholarship students who wish to do so, when they are managed by this agency
> Residence permit is extended for international students engaged in training in France
> Higher education institutions can offer specific measures locally

Note that the social services of the Crous are mobilized and that you can request them if necessary.
Note also that these measures will be supplemented according to the evolution of the health situation.


Am I on vacation during the closure of my establishment?

No. Courses continue, in forms adapted to this exceptional situation.

How do the courses continue?

It is your establishment which will inform you of the educational methods allowing you to follow your courses and continue your semester.

What should I do if I am on an internship or a work-study program and I cannot go to my place of internship / work

Teleworking is the imperative rule for all positions that allow it.

If teleworking is not possible, and to maintain the validation of internship credits, students must modify their agreements (with an addendum) with their referents in the higher education institution so that the conditions of the internship are adapted, teleworking for example.

If your internship or work-study program is prevented, for example if teleworking is not possible, your establishment will offer you adaptations in order to be able to validate your internship / work-study program, or to postpone it, or to find another place of internship.

Like all other employees, work-study students can benefit from partial unemployment defined by the Ministry of Labor.



The examinations of the national competitions which could not be held or which are to be held in the coming weeks will be rescheduled at a later date. They cannot take place before the very end of May.


National Education recruitment competitions should take place, subject to changes in the health situation, between June and July.
They will be the subject of a specific communication in the coming days.


The written tests allowing access to the selective training courses of the first cycle of higher education will be replaced by an examination of the academic files of the candidates within the framework of Parcoursup.


Subject to changes in the health situation:

The National Computerized Classifying Tests (ECNI) giving access to the third cycle of medical studies will take place from July 6 to 10, 2020. The competition for entry into the second year of health studies (Medicine, Maieutics, Odontology, Pharmacy) will be organized from the third week of June. Competitions relating to university careers will be organized jointly by the Directorate General of Human Resources and the CNU between the last week of June and the first week of July 2020. The other competitions, mainly concerning access to paramedical training (nurse, hearing aid professional, occupational therapist ...) will be replaced by an examination of the applicants' academic records as part of the national pre-registration procedure via the Parcoursup platform.


The entries for the other national competitions initially scheduled for April and May of this year are postponed and will be reorganized from the end of May. This concerns entrance exams to the Grandes Ecoles.


Particular attention is paid to this subject, so that students are not penalized by these exceptional circumstances.

Since March 27, the Ministry of Higher Education has indicated to universities that they must adapt the modalities of their exams: either by postponing them, or by adjusting them remotely, or by modifying the content (homework for example).

It is therefore up to your university to make the decision and communicate on this matter.


Can I still use the university health services?


Does the university health service remain open?

The majority of university health services remain open, provide hotlines, have set up a mailbox for requests and making appointments, provide consultations and teleconsultations. They adapt their organization by offering students hotlines and responses to requests for support and psychological listening.

It is possible to access, video, chat ... RDV on the site of your establishment for the terms of access to the service.

In addition, note that a decree of March 18 extends the competences of the university health services to enable them to carry out the health monitoring of isolated students, in particular in university residences, in connection with the Crous.

Can I contact the university health service for any health problem related to Covid-19?

Yes. SSU health professionals are your first line contacts. The coordinates of your SSU are on the university website.
In case of breathing difficulty call DIRECTLY 15 or 112.

What if I need a listening, if I have a low morale?

Support and psychological follow-up is always provided remotely, both by the university health services of the establishments and by the Crous. Consult the appropriate information and contacts on the support-etudiant.info website, which lists all the psychological support systems, throughout France, academy by academy.

There are also other free listening services: Nightline (for Paris): https://nightline-paris.fr/, available in french and in english.

The coronavirus, the situation in France, health guidelines

Faced with coronavirus, there are simple steps to protect your health and that of those around you.

  • I stay at home
  • I wash my hands very regularly
  • I cough or sneeze in my elbow or in a handkerchief
  • I use disposable tissues and throw them away
  • I greet without shaking my hand, I stop kissing

A toll-free number answers your questions permanently, 24/7: 0 800 130 000

Please note, the telephone platform is not authorized to provide medical advice.

If you have symptoms (cough, fever) that remind you of Covid-19: stay home, avoid contact, call a doctor before going to his office, or call the emergency number in your area. As a student, you can also contact the university health service of your establishment. If you live in a university residence managed by a Crous, please follow scrupulously the rules of residence life, which are adapted to the situation and the instructions for social distancing. If symptoms worsen with difficulty breathing and signs of suffocation, call the SAMU-Center 15.

> https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus


What if I have a question / problem regarding my health?

If you have any questions regarding your health, whether or not related to Covid-19, please do not hesitate to contact the health department on which you are responsible. You will find the contact details for your service on your establishment's website.

During this period, all university health services provide at least online or telephone permanence and have been authorized to carry out follow-ups and prescribe treatments. For those who are in a university residence, the Crous can also make the link with the health service and the disability system that usually accompanies you.

What should I do if I encounter difficulties during my studies?

Educational continuity is organized by the teachers. If you encounter difficulties related to your situation to follow the lessons offered and / or with regard to the proposed assessment methods, contact the disability service or the disability referent of your establishment who usually accompanies you.

What if I have another type of problem?

During confinement, do not hesitate to report any other problem related to isolation to the disability services (race needs, psychological situation). They can, in conjunction with the Crous, health services and local actors, inform you about locally implemented responses (see HEALTH section, above).


Even if the universities are closed, international students can stay in France. Those who lived in university residences have been asked to leave their residence, if they wanted, before the confinement period. International students still living in France are invited as far as possible to contact their consular authorities to help them make a decision. They continue to benefit from access to care and housing in university residences during their stay in France.

Campus France ensures the return to their country of international scholarship students who wish to do so, when they are managed by this agency.

International students engaged in training in France and whose residence permit is about to expire are subject to specific government attention so that residence permit is extended. Residence permits, receipts and long-stay visas which expire between March 16 and May 15, 2020, and which had already been extended by 3 months, are extended by an additional 3 months. More info on the Campus France website.


To allow you to better follow the arrangements made by each Crous (opened locations, specific measures...).

Reminder from the social networks etudiant.gouv: Twitter / Facebook / Instagram
French Ministry of Higher Education: website / twitter / facebook

Information on the coronavirus, the situation in France, health guidelines

> https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus
> French ministry of foreign affairs

1ère publication : 8.04.2020 - Mise à jour : 24.04.2020